gstreamer1.0-plugins-good package on devel PPA for Ubuntu Precise

Geoff Adams geoff.adams at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 19:40:17 PDT 2014

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this is a bit of a newbie question, or if I've
come to the wrong place with it -- I'm a scientist, not a software
developer.  I'm running Linux Mint 13 Maya (based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Precise), and I installed GStreamer from the gstreamer-developers PPA.

I'm trying to build a GStreamer 1.0 application in Python using a
cairooverlay element from the "good" plugins.  Although I have the
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good package installed, I was surprised to discover
that cairooverlay appears to be missing (confirmed with gst-inspect-1.0).
After some work trying to track down why, I found that the latest version
of this package available in the repository is
"1.0.8-1ubuntu1~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1", and I'm guessing that perhaps
cairooverlay had not been ported to 1.0 as of 1.0.8. From this page:
https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-developers/+archive/ppa/+packages , it
seems that the more recent versions of the package have failed to build for
Precise.  From the build log, it seems like perhaps pulseaudio is the
culprit.  Unfortunately, I would have absolutely no idea how to go about
fixing this problem if I tried to build it from source on my own system.

Also unfortunately, a distribution upgrade isn't a good option for me right
now.  My question is, is there a good way to get a version of
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good that has cairooverlay installed on my system?  It
looks like the Quantal version built fine -- would it be stupid to just try
telling my package manager to pull the Quantal repository, or would that
probably just completely bork my GStreamer install?

Thanks for any advice.
Regards,
Geoff Adams