Help debugging blacklisted plugin

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 07:52:18 PDT 2014

Thanks, that's a great tip.

$ gst-inspect-1.0 /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstaravis-0.4.so
Could not load plugin file: File
"/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstaravis-0.4.so" appears to be a
GStreamer plugin, but it failed to initialize

OK, so why did it fail to initialize?  I expect it failed to
initialize because it depends on another shared library,
libaravis-0.4.so, which lives in /usr/local/lib.  So I tried setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to /usr/local/lib:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib gst-inspect-1.0
/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstaravis-0.4.so
Plugin Details:
  Name: aravissrc
…

Great!  Errr, except that setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH thusly (somehow)
renders it impossible for gstreamer to locate other plugins:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib gst-inspect-1.0 udpsink
No such element or plugin 'udpsink'

I'm so confused!

As we have used this particular board for a number of different
development efforts, I wonder if some debris from other projects might
be leftover in ld or gstreamer cache files.  Is there a way I can
clear out such cache files, or am I chasing the wrong red herring
there?

--wpd