Gapless Playback with Playbin

David W. Harks dave at dwink.net
Fri Jul 11 05:35:08 PDT 2014

GStreamer wizards,

My GStreamer-based app is intended to play H.264 video clips
back-to-back in gapless fashion. It uses playbin and the
'about-to-finish' signal to change URIs, as the various examples and
advice about this shows.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing a 5-10 frame 'pause' when switching URIs. What
seems to be happening is that the sink stops rendering frames for a
brief period, leaving a static frame visible, then 'catches up' and
starts rendering again, skipping the first few frames of the next clip.
I tried taking the same clips and playing them with gst-play-1.0
--gapless and I get the same result.

My question is, how can I narrow down what's going on here? And is there
anything I can do to get frame-perfect transitions? I created a debug
log with GST_DEBUG=5 here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rdzlrcaz77wbkc/dbg.out.gz

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how to interpret this output.

Thanks for your expertise!

-d