Simultaneous 32 and 64 bit development on the same machine

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 07:39:34 PDT 2014

>  Dear GStreamer-devel,
>
> I've recently found a need to start compiling a 64-bit version of my
> GStreamer app. I'd prefer not having to give up my 32-bit version though,
> so I set about to have my cake and eat it too.
>
> But I'm left with a few questions, to which I may, or may not already have
> the answers. I could do with some input regardless.
>
> So the two big challenges I see that need resolving are as follows:
>
> 1. GST_PLUGIN_PATH defined as an environment variable. This can - of
> course - only point to either the 32 or 64 bit collection of plug-ins. My
> assumption is that plug-ins are also compiled in either a 32 or 64 bit
> fashion and should be used with the respective version of the GStreamer
> library. An earlier message on this mailing list indicated that Gstreamer
> automatically scans this place:
>
> DIR/lib/gstreamer-1.0/ where DIR is
>
> g_win32_get_package_installation_directory_of_module()
>
> here I'm already a bit curious as whether that changes the directory it
> points at if you're running a 64-bit version of an application dynamically
> linked with 64-bit GStreamer...?
>
> Another helpful user pointed out the option of using 'putenv' to modify
> the environment variables during runtime, which would then fairly easily
> let me point the GST_PLUGIN_PATH to the right directory.
>
> 2. The PATH environment variable has the same issue - pointing only to the
> 32 or 64 binaries. I'm guessing 'putenv' could solve this too, unless
> someone else has some other cool and easier ways to fix this?
>
> ------------------
>
> With both these approaches one thing I worry about it having to remove the
> default environment variables, as using GStreamers executables separately
> is quite useful for testing a lot of stuff. But having to continuously add
> and remove them is quite the hassle. Apart from creating a custom batch
> file that launches a cmd window and adds these env. variables, I'm also a
> little at a loss as to how to solve this...
>
> Any and all thoughts/comments are welcome. I will test this soon, but I am
> keen to hear existing experience!

Hi Lasse,

On Windows GStreamer can be installed in parallel for both architectures
and you can work with both archs without having to do anything else on your
side.
Your x64 application will link against the gstreamer library in
c:\gstreamer\1.0\x86_64\bin and therefore loads deps and plugins from this
prefix, while the x86 one will link against the gstreamer library in
c:\gstreamer\1.0\x86\bin and use this different prefix.
And in case you need to set PATH the installer adds 2 env variables that
you can use GSTREAMER_1_0_ROOT_X86 and GSTREAMER_1_0_ROOT_X86_64

Cheers,
Andoni

Cheers,
Andoni