Audio file format with time code

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Tue Jul 15 13:30:06 PDT 2014

Le mardi 15 juillet 2014 à 21:49 +0200, Dr. Peter G. Baum a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Which file format implemented in gstreamer supports up to 40 channels
> PCM samples with time code?

I doubt any standard allow that, at least it would not be playable in
Gstreamer. We have 28 channel positions defined so far, see
GstAudioChannelPosition. It would not be possible to create a layout for
that. Though, in term of raw PCM I think it could work. Timecode isn't
mandatory for raw audio, as the sample length is fixes, we can
figure-out when to play it. Note that our theoretical limit is 64 (with
layout).

> wavenc supports only 2 channels (why only 2, the NumChannels field is 16
> bit?) and does not support the broadcast wave chunk, which would add the
> time code.

There is a comment in the code,
"gst-plugins-good/gst/waveenc/gstwaveenc.c"

/* Max. of two channels, more channels need WAVFORMATEX with
 * channel layout, which we do not support yet */

Feel free to propose a patch. I suppose we could cheat and allow more
channels without exposing a layout. It would just not play on any audio
sink unless you do the merging yourself.

cheers,
Nicolas