alsa MIDI

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Jul 16 09:06:20 PDT 2014

On 07/16/2014 11:08 AM, Hungerburg wrote:
> Gstreamer has some support for midi, although only turning into audio,
> as fas as I found. I'd rather capture and playback midi events from
> and to midi devices. Maybe someone on the list knows of such a module?
A stream of midi events would result in a sparse data stream. So far
supporting this has not been too compelling. Unless you add elements
that modify these events, I wonder what benefits you see in running midi
events through a pipeline.

> 1) capture midi events from alsa midi port, probably mux into an AVI
> container or write as a midi file
How would the midi-events be represented int he avi container? Do you
have some links.

> 2) playback that stream of events to an alsa midi port
>
> I now capture and play video with gstreamer and midi with arecordmidi
> and aplaymidi started from the shell with deliberate delays but
> imagine a pure gstreamer solution might provide better sync.
>
> Thank you

Stefan