Simultaneous 32 and 64 bit development on the same machine

Lasse Laursen lasse at lasselaursen.com
Tue Jul 29 02:30:56 PDT 2014

Hello again,

Apparently, I am a retard.

My PATH system variable most certainly included a path to the x86 bin
directory. So how to fix this annoyance? Well - my solution was as
follows. First, remove the path from the PATH system variable. Now
nothing works of course. So go into the project properties in Visual
Studio. Now then...

Configuration Properties >> VC++ Directories >> Executable Directories

looks really promising. But will do NOTHING to help you!!! Mwuahahaha.
That's apparently where Visual Studio looks when it's linking and
compiling and other executable stuff. No, instead go to...

Configuration Properties >> Debugging >> Environment

and add something along the lines of

PATH=$(SDKS_Dir)\gstreamer\1.0\x86\bin;%PATH%

Bam... You have now added this dynamically to your PATH variable before
running your program. And there was much rejoicing. Of course, if you
ever want to then also run your program outside of the confines of
Visual Studio, you may want to create a small batch file that sets this
PATH each time before you run your program. Then you will have achieved
what I set out to do. Run both a 32bit and 64bit version of your App on
the same OS.

Hope this helps someone!
Lasse