MPEG-2 Encoding produces garbage.

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Jun 6 02:31:23 PDT 2014

On Fr, 2014-05-30 at 15:01 -0700, Jordan Johnson wrote:
> So, for a GNURadio project, I am sending MPEG-2 video muxed withj PSIP data
> to my TV. The actual passing of said data and video is fine, however, the
> video is not. It is mostly blank with blinking blocks everywhere, with fast
> moving scenes having more "garbage".
>
> I am using videtestsrc before I add it to my mixer for testing.
>
> Here is my pipeline. http://pastebin.com/VNSYWgip
>
> It renders fine in mpv, SMPlater, and TSReader can play the video, however
> an error that shows up in mpv's command outpit is"
>
> *"[libav] NULL: start time is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts"*
> and...
> "[libav/demuxer] mpegts: Continuity check failed for pid 256 expected 3 got
> 4"
>
> Any idea what could be happening? How can I determine the pts value of a
> live source?

That pipeline you provided will produce an MPEG2 video elementary
stream, not anything that is inside any container like MPEG PS or MPEG
TS. Is that what you want? IIRC the MPEG2 elementary stream does not
contain any time information at all.

And you mpv output contains a mention about mpegts. How are you muxing
the MPEG2 video elementary stream into MPEG TS?

Expertise, Straight from the Source