Recording webm streams to disk

Lee Matthews lma at spaceapplications.com
Fri Jun 13 00:21:29 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am currently using gstreamer to stream video captured from a webcam connected to a mobile phone. I'm using the vp8 codec within a webm container. I wish to, on command, start and stop recording the webm stream for future playback. So I used output-selector to switch between a fakesink and a filesink.

bin = gst_parse_launch ("webmmux streamable=true name=stream v4l2src device=/dev/video3 ! video/x-raw,format=(string)YUY2,width=(int)320,height=(int)240,framerate=(fraction)20/1 ! videoconvert ! vp8enc deadline=1 threads=3 token-partitions=2 cpu-used=1 end-usage=cbr target-bitrate=2048000 ! tee name=t ! queue ! stream. t. ! queue !  webmmux name=mux ! output-selector name=s s. ! fakesink name=fakesink async=0 s. ! filesink name=filesink location=/data/data/com.mobinet.mobinetbootapp/files/test.webm async=0", &err);

The filesink seems to save data ok, but I'm unable to play the resulting file with vlc, mplayer or gstreamer.

My question is, given that I just start recording the stream at a random time, am I missing valuable metadata that is required to decode the stream when stored on a file?

If so, is there something that I can do to add the necessary metadata so that the file becomes playable ?

Thanks in advance.

Lee