running GStreamer as a background process/daemon

Sergei Vorobyov sergei.vorobyov at facilitylabs.com
Tue Jun 24 06:41:37 PDT 2014

To make my GStreamer app unsinkable (sad to say the GStreamer sometimes
freezes after a few days of intensive repetitive usage with dynamic pipes,
caps, etc) I decided to start, monitor, and relaunch when needed my media
player as a background process. Trouble is:

the background process fails in the very beginning at

if (gst_element_set_state (pipeline, GST_STATE_PLAYING) ==
                                         GST_STATE_CHANGE_FAILURE) {
            LOG_ERROR("failed to set pipeline to PLAYING");
            EXIT(-1);
}

whereas it always works OK in the foreground mode.

Note that my

Display *display = XOpenDisplay (":0");

Window window = XCreateWindow(display, ...

gst_video_overlay_set_window_handle(GST_VIDEO_OVERLAY(sink), window);

(where sink is ximagesink; I am trying to overlay my ximagesink over an
X-window)

all work OK in the fore- and background modes.

Of course, I cannot test the void result
of gst_video_overlay_set_window_handle.

Any ideas? Thanks!