audio over Ethernet network not working

mahyarelc mahyarelc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 13:04:10 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm relatively new to GStreamer world and as a simple test, I'm trying to
send a test audio over an Ethernet network and play the output from another
PC (both running Ubuntu 14.04).
The network is fine (as I can use ssh), audio test plays on each individual
machines (so gstreamer works on each one) but the problem is when I send the
audio, I don't get an output on the client side. Here's a simple pipeline:

Server:
gst-launch-0.10 -v audiotestsrc ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=1234
Client:
gst-launch-0.10 -v udpsrc port=1234 ! autoaudiosink

server side goes to playing:
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAudioTestSrc:audiotestsrc0.GstPad:src: caps =
audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true, width=(int)16,
depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)1
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstUDPSink:udpsink0.GstPad:sink: caps =
audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true, width=(int)16,
depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)1
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock

client side also goes to PLAYING state but *no output* is playing (no data
is received if I use filesink element):
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock

I've tried many other pipelines but they don't work (I finally want to send
a live stream, but this simple audio test doesn't work).

Any suggestions would be great and helpfull