audio over Ethernet network not working

mahyarelc mahyarelc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 14:15:20 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 13:04 -0700, mahyarelc wrote:

Hi,

> I'm relatively new to GStreamer world and as a simple test, I'm trying to
> send a test audio over an Ethernet network and play the output from
> another
> PC (both running Ubuntu 14.04).
> The network is fine (as I can use ssh), audio test plays on each
> individual
> machines (so gstreamer works on each one) but the problem is when I send
> the
> audio, I don't get an output on the client side. Here's a simple pipeline:
>

> Server:
> gst-launch-0.10 -v audiotestsrc ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=1234
> Client:
> gst-launch-0.10 -v udpsrc port=1234 ! autoaudiosink
>

> server side goes to playing:
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAudioTestSrc:audiotestsrc0.GstPad:src: caps =
> audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true,
> width=(int)16,
> depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)1
> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstUDPSink:udpsink0.GstPad:sink: caps =
> audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true,
> width=(int)16,
> depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)1
> Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
> Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
> New clock: GstSystemClock
>

> client side also goes to PLAYING state but *no output* is playing (no data
> is received if I use filesink element):
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
> Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
> New clock: GstSystemClock
>
> I've tried many other pipelines but they don't work (I finally want to
> send
> a live stream, but this simple audio test doesn't work).
>
> Any suggestions would be great and helpfull

Well, if your receiver doesn't even receive any output, that's likely a
network problem of sorts. I would suspect an IPv4 vs. IPv6 issue
('localhost' resolving to IPv6, but 127.0.0.1 to IPv4, for example).

Thanks Tim,

I change the IP address (in the pipeline) to the receiver's IP and it
worked.
But now if I change the server's pipeline to send a videotestsrc (just
change audiotestsrc to videotestsrc), it won't work again (data is not
received at all)
gst-launch -v videotestsrc ! udpsink host=169.254.7.7 port=1234
(I'm just going step by step to figure out what's the problem)

I've tried to use tcp instead of udp (does it matter?) but still no luck.
(using tcpserversink)

Any idea what's the problem?

Mahyar