fakesink and CPU load

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Sun Jun 29 04:32:26 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 08:21 +0200, Cyril Baletaud wrote:

Hi,

> I'm working on GiGE Vision with GStreamer render pipeline.
> (https://gitorious.org/jiguiviou)
>

> I have multiple dynamic sink branch (at moment view and record
> branches).
>
> By default , the first branch created is a fakesink and we can
> activate any of other while pipeline is running.
>

> My question is : when activating an real sink branch, is it better to
> remove the fakesink branch or (because CPU load for fakesink is
> less ?) let the fakesink running ?

That fakesink branch will have some non-zero overhead, but it should be
really really small. It's basically just one extra thread (from the
queue after the tee), and the extra pad_push. I wouldn't bother removing
it unless you know that you won't need it again later, or it shows up in
your performance investigations.

I suppose you already checked out camerabin and found it doesn't cater
to your use case? It can start/stop recording on the fly while showing
the camera output.

Cheers
 -Tim