Gstreamer on OSX combined with GTK-OSX

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun Mar 2 12:42:23 PST 2014

On So, 2014-03-02 at 20:37 +0100, Urs Hofer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've successfully running tests in c++ with gstreamer or gtk. But both together combined seem to be rather difficult. It looks like many libraries (i.e. libgobject) are loaded double. Has anyone tried to combine gstreamer 1.x and gtk on osx (I'm using 10.8)?
>
> I'v build gtk from scratch, but I'm using the precompiled gstreamer framework. Is there any sense in building gstreamer on osx from scratch to solve this problem?

The problem will be that GStreamer is using the GStreamer.framework,
which includes its own version of GLib and GTK+ uses it's own other
version of GLib from e.g. /usr/local/lib

As libraries on OSX are linked with the complete path, this causes two
versions of GLib to be in memory in the end and that causes the
conflicts.

Building GStreamer manually from source like you did for GTK+ will help,
or building GTK+ against the GLib version (and Pango and others)
provided by the GStreamer.framework.

Expertise, Straight from the Source