Source bin vs 'fake demux'

ejcunningham ejcunningham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:23:59 PST 2014

Hi All,

I'm writing a source element that wraps an audio+video streaming library and
I'm trying to conform to gstreamer conventions as closely as possible. I've
discovered via this list that source elements with multiple src pads are
discouraged in favor of the multiple element+bin design, but I'm struggling
to understand why other than the fact that GstBaseSrc supports only a single
pad.  Is there a deeper reasoning behind this convention other than
consistency of implementation?

I've also noticed that there are several 'fake demux' elements out there
that appear to essentially be source elements with multiple pads disguised
as demux elements (example: dashdemux plugin).  Is this design acceptable
(preferable?) over the bin implementation?

Thanks,

Eric