Comparing compression quality of h.264 encoders

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Thu Mar 6 07:33:42 PST 2014

There are many possible explanations why they yield different levels of
compression. You don't specify what parameters you are setting in them so
you are likely seeing different default options used by the encoders which
will yield differing compression ratios. You need to pay attention to the
profile and level, but also all of the other options that can be set. You
also need to pay attention to output bitrate, framerate and IFrame
interval. If you are generating a higher percentage of frames as IFrames,
then the resulting size will be much larger.