Segfault while using playbin2 ! How does the playbin2 convert the video display resolution automatically ?

harishjennykn harishjennykn at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 02:04:51 PST 2014

When I try to play a video with resolution of 720*400 using playbin2 , I get
a crash saying
Caught SIGSEGV accessing address 0x18
Spinning.  Please run 'gdb gst-launch 2250' to continue debugging, Ctrl-C to
quit, or Ctrl-\ to dump core.

However, when I try to play the same video with the flags set to
'(0x00000040): native-video     - Only use native video formats' ,
I am able to play the video!

I see in the crash logs that video is being tried to get scaled to 768*432 .
Why does the video resolution gets scaled automatically?
I see that in playbin2 a bin is created with queue, colorspace and
videoscale elements. How the output resolution is decided ? Is it based on
the screen resolution ? I am using a LCD with 800X480 resolution!
I also have both ffmpegcolorspace and videoscale element installed.

I have tried out the following set of pipelines!

works fine
*) gst-launch filesrc location= a.mp4 ! decodebin ! autovideosink -v

crash
*) gst-launch playbin2 uri=file:///home/root/a.mp4 -v

works fine
*) gst-launch playbin2 uri=file:///home/root/a.mp4 flags=0x00000040 -v

I tried the following seeing the code in gstplaysink.c
But it says cannot link videoscale to videosink
*) gst-launch filesrc location= a.mp4 ! decodebin ! ffmpegcolorspace !
videoscale ! autovideosink -v

I want to know why the crash occurs ?

Note: Currently using 0.10.36 and cannot switch to gstreamer-1.0 !

Thanks for any inputs in advance !
~HJ