Tracking down a memory leak

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Sat Mar 8 09:37:01 PST 2014

I've got a pipeline that's used to play audio and feed video to a fakesink so that I can grab the latest frame when I want it (for rendering in a GLES app).

This works fine on my development system (Ubuntu 12.04, AMD video card), but when I run it on the target hardware there is a small memory leak related to running the pipeline. I've found this when running some long-term robustness tests, and it takes many, many days of looping playback for the leak to get to the point where the application gets terminated. This isn't ideal, as the app is expected to run for months at a time. As I said, this leak does not happen on the development system.

The target is an Intel Cedartrail platform with the PVR drivers (needed for acceleration), and I suspect that the memory leak is related to these drivers and/or their interaction with GStreamer.

Are there any recommend techniques that I can use to try and get an idea of where the problem lies?

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com