Overlays with Vaapi-plugins

Holger Kaelberer hk at elberer.de
Wed Mar 12 02:02:58 PDT 2014

Hi,

which plugins did you use for overlaying? You are talking about overlaying of (static) generic image
data, I assume.

gst-vaapi implements the consumer side of the GstOverlayComposition API
(http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-gstvideooverlaycomposition.html).
Textoverlay, dvsuboverlay are examples of producer side implementations. AFAIK the existing plugins
for generic overlay like cairooverlay and cogoverlay (don't know if this one was even ported to 1.0)
afaik don't work with the OverlayComposition API. Following this way you could implement a overlay
plugin yourself. From an application point of view the callback based approach of cairooverlay (draw
signal) has proven very usable for us.

For more complex and dynamic overlays you could use the clutter-gst integration. (Not sure though if
clutter-gst supports vaapi / hw/  based pipelines again ...) Have a look at what snappy does.

Holger