Fast forward works but rewind doesn't

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Mar 12 15:37:25 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 14:56 -0700, leon wrote:

Hi,

> I have pipeline (0.10 version) and I need to control the speed and direction
> of the video.
> the video is encoded with h.264
>
> fast forward and slow motion works perfect
> but when I try to rewind, I get this message:
>
>  ** (project name) WARNING **: seek failed

I'm guessing with 'rewind' you mean 'try to do reverse playback' (i.e.
rate < 0)?

> this is the pipeline:
>
> filesrc movie.mp4 ! queue ! decodebin2 ! autovideosink

I don't know why you have a queue between filesrc and decodebin2.  It's
not needed, and not a good idea. It will force demuxers into a
suboptimal code path (push mode). Demuxers will usually only support
reverse playback when operating in pull mode. Try removing that queue
element.

 Cheers
  -Tim