Gstreamer support for the auto rotation of video using rotation tag in video.

iamvamsi devabathini92 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:19:56 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I am working on a real time trans coder using gstreamer 1.x. As a part of it
I have to auto correct the orientation of videos using the rotation tag
present in the input video. With a little search I found that gstreamer can
do the rotation if videoflip element is explicitly added to the pipeline but
not otherwise.

As of now I am mostly interested in .mov files ( iphone format ) and am able
to get the rotation information from TKHD atom from the headers of the input
file (This is not presently supported by the gst-discovery tool as it
doesn't print any information about rotation). Now I'd like to know if it is
possible to use this rotation information and add auto rotation to the
video.

Any help is appreciated !!