Threading in gstream pipeline

manickam palaniappan manickam79 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 10:57:57 PDT 2014

Iam confused regarding how gstream manages parallel processing to achieve the processing cmds encoded in a pipeline.

I remember a crude understanding for myself from this link http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Basic+tutorial+7%3A+Multithreading+and+Pad+Availability that the thread is created on section to section basis of the pipeline with the demarcation of the sections done by queue element. But I think this link is based on gstreamer 0.10. Not sure if latest 1.2.3 version is on similar lines.

But when doing a htop cmd on the machine running gstreamer pipeline, I found to my surprise that there were as many as 16 processes spawned by gstreamer pipeline, roughly on the basis of 1 process per element. This means every element behaves like a process. But then running some 10 pipelines like this on a system could easily choke the system.

Is my understanding right? If so, what can be done to alleviate scaling issues where a machine may need to cater to 10 or more pipelines.

And letting some light on the detail of how threading/multiprocessing is implemented in gstreamer would be really helpful.

Appreciate your help...