Threading in gstream pipeline

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Sat Mar 29 05:36:33 PDT 2014

Le samedi 29 mars 2014 à 02:49 -0700, manickam palaniappan a écrit :
> But then why does htop show a different process id for each line with
> the 16 lines all the same showing "gst-launch-1.0 ....."
>
> If it is a thread. Why does it show up as 16 different instances of
> the same cmd. I was running only a single gst-launch cmd with 16
> elements in it put one after the other.

Please, avoid top posting, it's hard to remember the context. If I
remember, I rarely use htop, this tools shows both threads and process
with a single line for each (copying the command line). So please
believe me, we don't spawn processes in GStreamer, except 1, in the
scanning phase to protect application from potentially buggy plugins and
this process stop immediately when that is done.

> And when I said multiple pipelines could choke the system, I basically
> meant if indeed I started to run multiple pipelines of this form - 16
> elements in each pipeline , with 10 such pipelines. The app we are
> trying to build here will cater to 50 users or more , with each user
> having his own pipeline running on the machine. Thats the reason Iam
> asking this question - although I know I can deploy multiple machines
> to solve scaling, what is the maximum a single machine can handle ?
> Hypothetically If each machine handles only 1 or 2 pipelines only , it
> will be absurd to have 50 as many machines for the 50 or 100 users.

This is a very open question, since it highly depends on the machine,
the configuration of your OS, the configuration of the cgroup your
pipeline are going to run in (if Linux), the pipeline you are going to
run, etc.

cheers,
Nicolas