Have make also build the unit tests ?

Edward Hervey bilboed at bilboed.com
Sun Mar 30 01:07:22 PDT 2014

Hi all,

  I was wondering whether it would make sense to have "make" also
compile the unit tests code (tests/*) in addition to the libs/plugins ?

  This wouldn't actually run them (you would still need to explicitely
use make check for that), but it would ensure that unit tests actually
*do* compile and would catch API/ABI breaks (because of our code or
because of dependency changes). It wouldn't increase the build time by
that much either imho.

  From a logic (and buildbot maintainer...) point of view it would also
guarantee that the compilation (which is pretty much what "make (all)"
represents) is done for everything. And if other steps fail (such as
make check) they are not compilation failures.

  Comments ? Remarks ?