Webm streaming to HTML5 webpage

Lee Matthews lma at spaceapplications.com
Mon Mar 31 01:36:40 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I am trying to stream video to a html5 webpage using the webm container. I use the following gstreamer command :

gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc ! vp8enc ! webmmux streamable=true name=stream ! tcpserversink host=localhost port=9999

My index.html file contains the following :

<!DOCTYPE html>
		<video width="640" height="480" controls>
  			<source src="http://localhost:9999" type="video/webm" codecs="vp8.0">
			Your browser does not support the video tag.
		</video>

Yet when I try accessing the webpage on localhost I get a static grey box (which looks like it's 640x480 in size) with a cross in the middle and the following text "No video with supported format and MIME type found". I don't get any video when using Chrome either.

Can anyone please let me know what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks
Lee