Stack memory issue with gstreamer

jbvulai jb.vu.lai at gmail.com
Thu May 1 09:08:52 PDT 2014

Thing is I'm not sure that it is deep recursion. I just notice my stack
getting bigger and bigger. It is a symptom but it might not be related to
the issue which was the more I play files on the same pipelines, the slower
the application becomes over time and crashes.

The stack traces do not show recursive calls...

#0  0xb7fdd424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xb7b8d9db in poll () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:81
#2  0xb7ec02db in g_poll () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0xb7eb16d0 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#4  0xb7eb1c2b in g_main_loop_run () from
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#5  0x0804a30c in AudioVoiceService::playMessage (this=0x8059638,
repeat=true) at ../src/AudioVoiceService.cc:112
#6  0x0804dae0 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfffdda4) at ../src/GSTest.cpp:22

We were blaming the issue on memory leaks in the beginning but now we are no
longer sure where the problem lies. We've tried many different theories, but
have not found no definite blame. Valgrind test don't show any absolute
leaks, the heap memory of the application seem very stable.

I have new info though. It would seem that as the playback loops over time,
there is an increase of CPU usage in between playbacks so I assume when
G-streamer loads the next file to be played. While the file plays, cpu usage
becomes normal. In the same time, we noticed that the time of playback
in-between files also becomes longer, until it eventually crashes.

It is as if it takes more and more effort for gstreamer to find the file to
be played after each iteration.

Note that these tests were done with Gstreamer 0.1 as it is the only version
available for the ti-am335x board we are using. Also here is my pipeline, in
case youre wondering :

filesrc -> decodebin2 -> audioconvert -> alsasink

I've tried replacing decodebin2 with wavparse too as i thought it would
remove the dynamic pad creation.. but it seem this was only the case in
wavparse from gstreamer 1.0.

Thanks a lot btw for trying to help, this is very much appreciated.

J.B.