gstreamer-vaapi: vaapipostproc and videomixer

Joe McDonald joe.mcdonald at vecima.com
Tue May 6 12:57:32 PDT 2014

Sebastian Dröge-3 wrote
> The problem here will be that videomixer only works on raw video in
> normal memory and not on vaapi surfaces. There are some bugs around that
> in gst-vaapi as you've already noticed, especially for making the usage
> of vaapi surfaces completely transparent in GStreamer pipelines.
>
> But apart from that you will probably still get very high CPU usage if
> all this works as videomixer works completely in software. A better
> solution would be to do the compositing/mixing either with vaapi
> somehow, or by rendering everything into GL textures and then composite
> everything together in GL (with transferring the vaapi surfaces
> direectly into GL textures and never ever copy them to normal system
> memory).
>
> --
> Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com
> Expertise, Straight from the Source

Thanks for the feedback Sebastian.  I've also thought that using the current
video mixer would be a bad idea for the exact reason you've stated.  My
familiarity with using GL textures in gstreamer is quite limited though so
if you could provide any examples of a pipeline that may do something
similar that would be most helpful.  Even a simple test to go from
vaapidecode into something like cluttersink (which I believe is GL based)
would be great.

Thanks and regards,
Joe McDonald