Playback speed and playbin - do they work together?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat May 10 23:07:47 PDT 2014

On Fr, 2014-05-09 at 15:45 +0300, Alexandru Palade wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I've updated my code to use two uridecodebins as you suggested. Thank you
> very much, it works wonderful. The transition is seamingless. Now I
> encountered another problem - when I'm trying to change the playback rate
> and I send the seek_event it has a small lag. Someone on freenode suggested
> that I should be using a non-flushing seek event, but when I try to do
> that, my entire video stops.

That shouldn't happen, can you explain your setup a bit more detailed
and what you're doing there?

> The example code you mentioned has this problem as well - when modifying
> the playback rate it has a small pause. I'm sure gstreamer is good enough
> to just modify the playback rate without the need to seek anywhere new, but
> I can't seem to find the right combination for this. Any suggestions?
>
> I've tried the obvious with GST_SEEK_TYPE_NONE, but it doesn't appear to be
> working. If I don't flush it gets stuck (I tried with avidemux, qtdemux and
> matroska, they all do more or less the same, except avi that plays the
> sound, but not the video) and if I flush, it works good, but I do get the
> lag. I also tried the step event, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking
> for.

You can use the STEP events to change the playback rate during playback
without a short pause. This only works for changing the rate in the same
direction (i.e. switching forward and backward playback still requires a
seek). The playback-example also implements that.

Expertise, Straight from the Source