qtdemux => seek failed/skipped

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat May 10 23:11:05 PDT 2014

On Do, 2014-05-08 at 23:29 -0700, renecalles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am working on small program which should use a MP4 Video as filesrc and
> output the looped video via rtmpsink. I am seeing issues when seeking in the
> debug log á la "skipping seek" and "seek failed/skipped" for i guess the
> initial seek the application does to signal to use segment based seeking.
>
> As res = qtdemux_seek_offset (demux, target); is not called i guess it fails
> here:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/gst/isomp4/qtdemux.c?h=1.2#n4634
>
> if (demux->upstream_seekable &&
>                 demux->upstream_size > 4 * (1 << 20))
>
> Checking for "upstream" logs in qtdemux i only found "Not storing upstream
> newsegment, not in time format"
> [...]

I would imagine that the seek is not working because of rtmpsink or the
muxer you have in front of it. We generally don't support seeking
through a muxer right now as the semantics are not really clear.

For your use case, what you can do is to directly inject the seek event
on qtdemux for example. You might need to additionally add a pad probe
(or use pad offsets) on the srcpads right before the muxers to fix up
timestamps in the way you want them to continue after the seek, and also
might need to do non-flushing seeks.

Expertise, Straight from the Source