Videoconvert needs to be optimized

Mart Raudsepp leio at gentoo.org
Mon May 19 08:17:43 PDT 2014

On P, 2014-05-18 at 18:46 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le dimanche 18 mai 2014 à 18:33 +0000, Yaroslav Andrusyak a écrit :
> > Gstreamer is are great software, i use it for srcreencastin with
> > hardware vaapi and omx h264 encoding.
> > But conversion  from ximagesrc (BGRx) --> vaapi\omx (NV12) with
> > videoconvert (videoconvert_convert_matrix8)
> > uses too many CPU resources.
>
> The biggest gain would be to get an HW accelerated post process method
> to do the work. Basically a way to replace videoconvert with an
> accelerated version.
>
> Videoconvert already has a lot of optimization, we can't trade
> correctness for speed, hence there will always be a certain amount of
> work to do. Though you have an interesting typo, "many CPU", an option
> could be to add some parallel processing to videoconvert so the load
> could be spread across multiple cores. This will for sure require a
> lot of work, but could enabled real time processing of larger images
> in certain cases.

Perhaps making it handle multiple frames in the queue at the same time
in separate threads would be an easier intermediate way, as we are
dealing with per-frame here? Though that can be classified as parallel
processing to videoconvert too :)
Of course that potentially adds latency to a live pipeline I suppose.

Mart