Deploying an application with a trimmed version of GStreamer?

Lasse Laursen gazoo at 42.dk
Thu May 22 01:33:56 PDT 2014

Hello,

Having successfully gotten my application to run on my second test
machine with Gstreamer, I'm beginning to ponder the ramifications of
possibly distributing an application publicly.

As I understand it GStreamer is LGPL with some proprietary plug-ins. I
initially considered statically linking with Gstreamer until I found out
that that legally this would either require me to...

a. Also release my code under the LGPL, or...
b. Provide users with means to re-link with other LGPL code.

Not too keen on 'a' for now, and 'b' sounds like it'd be a lot of work.
So looking at still dynamically linking with Gstreamer, has anyone got
any tips for perhaps 'trimming' down the Gstreamer package to just the
parts that are actually in use? Is this legal?

Regards,
Lasse

--
Lasse Farnung Laursen