Gstreamer mpeg2dec plugin is blocking

Dustin Oprea myselfasunder at gmail.com
Tue May 27 13:04:09 PDT 2014

I'm reading an ATSC DVB source to MPEG2-TS, isolating the MPEG2 stream, and
trying to play it. There's some small glitch, where mpeg2dec is connected
and the pipeline is in the PLAYING state, but nothing happens. When I
remove *mpeg2dec* and just write the video stream to a file, I can play it
back without a problem.

This blocks forever:

$ gst-launch-0.10 dvbbasebin adapter=0 frontend=0 frequency=551000000
program-numbers=6 modulation=8VSB ! mpegtsdemux ! video/mpeg,mpegversion=2
! mpeg2dec ! filesink location=video.yuv

However, this works:

$ gst-launch-0.10 dvbbasebin adapter=0 frontend=0 frequency=551000000
program-numbers=6 modulation=8VSB ! mpegtsdemux ! video/mpeg,mpegversion=2
! filesink location=video.mp2

..and I can play it in another process as it's being recorded:

$ gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=video.mp2 ! mpeg2dec ! xvimagesink

What am I missing? Thanks for any insights. I lost many hours debugging
this.

Dustin