Looking for advice on running multiple pipelines in parallel

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 05:05:27 PST 2014

Hello All,
I am developing an application where I will be processing images from
multiple video cameras independently.

I am looking for advice on the best way to structure my application.
At one end of the spectrum, I could structure my application to handle
a single camera, and just launch N copies of my app, each talking to a
different camera.  At the other end of the spectrum, I could (somehow)
interleave the images from each camera (since I am doing
frame-by-frame processing) and keep track of which image came from
which camera.  (I'm not particularly fond of that approach).

I am leaning towards a single app that launches multiple pipelines in
parallel.  Does that seem like a reasonable way to structure something
like this?  If I do that, how do I communicate from the pipelines to
the main application loop?  I need to add a bus watcher to my
pipelines to field messages from my plugins.  How do I post messages
back to the application main loop?  Should I add in my main app for
each of the pipelines and call gst_element_post_message() from within
the watcher for each pipeline?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

--wpd