Spectrum seems different when porting from 0.10 to 1.0

Victor henri nadaeck at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:29:38 PST 2014

Hello

My app displays harmonics of the sound in 3D, thanks to the 'spectrum' element.
When I use the microphone of the computer as the audio source, with Gstreamer-0.10, I have a clear view of the harmonics.
When I do the same with Gstreamer-1.0, the sensitivity seems much higher, and I have a huge "background" noise contamining the spectrum data, especially in the lower frequencies (but also in the rest of the spectrogram), wich makes the ratio sound/background noise much lower. I can lower the sensitivity of the microphone but in that case, I loose the interesting display...

When I do an analysis of an audio file (either a flac, wac, mp3... or a file recorded by the app), it works fine.

I join two pictures to show the difference, when pronouncing differents voyels; you must see higher and lower harmonics, according to wich voyel is said; on the first pic, when gst-0.10 is used, you can see a very clear drawing; on the second pic, when gst-1.0 is used, although the sensitivity of the mic is lessened, the ratio sound/background noise is much worse.

I guess the spectrum element has been rewritten. What is possible to change? Is it possible to get more information on how this plugins works?

Victor

Gst-0.10

Gst-1.0