dropping frames when using v4l2src

Aleksander Dutkowski adutkowski at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:34:28 PST 2014

hi!

I am trying to make a app, which sends video from wecam, using rtp and rtcp
and recieve it on the orther end. I am prototyping using gst-inspect and
examples from [1]. I detected an issue with framerate. I created a simple
pipeline (and couple of variations of it):

gst-launch-0.10 -v -e v4l2src device=/dev/video0 !  jpegdec !
ffmpegcolorspace ! queue ! autovideosink

With all of them, at first seconds, framerate is very good but it
constantly drops, and after a minute or two, there is about 4fps. Using
decodebin instead of jpegdec doesn't solve the issue.

Moreover, when using gstreamer 1.0 it tells me:
WARNING: from element
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSink:autovideosink0/GstXvImageSink:autovideosink0-actual-sink-xvimage:
A lot of buffers are being dropped.
Additional debug info:
/var/tmp/portage/media-libs/gstreamer-1.2.4-r2/work/gstreamer-1.2.4/libs/gst/base/gstbasesink.c(2791):
gst_base_sink_is_too_late ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSink:autovideosink0/GstXvImageSink:autovideosink0-actual-sink-xvimage:
There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow.

Is this an issue with my cam (logitech quickcam communicate stx) or with
the pipes? Computer is not slow (8 cores, 16G of ram).

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/tests/examples/rtp

--
regards