Best way to save streaming video so that I can seek through it locally?

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:48:28 PST 2014

How far back do you need to go?

Could you tee the video pipeline into a leaky queue into an appsink?
The queue would discard the oldest frames (GST_QUEUE_LEAK_DOWNSTREAM).
When you need to back up, your client code could pull the last N
seconds of frames from the appsink and start playing back from there.

It's a little off the wall, but maybe that would work for you.  I'm
planning on a similar idea for a "black box recorder" -- keep dumping
video frames into a leaky queue.  When a "What just happened?" event
occurs, I can scribble that queue to a file and review it at my
leisure.

--wpd