Request for support of Gstreamer 1.x integration into Enigma2 powering Linux set-top boxes

Lukas Bauer lukas.bauer.openatv at web.de
Thu Oct 9 06:44:24 PDT 2014

Request for support of Gstreamer 1.x integration into Enigma2 powering
Linux set-top boxes

Dear Gstreamer team,

I'm Lukas from Germany, Enigma2 developer and a moderator at openATV,
one of several teams making software for Linux based set-top boxes.

Enigma2, the GUI of such boxes, was originally an open source project of
Dream Multimedia who sell the "Dreambox". Since November 2011, Dream
Multimedia have continued their internal development on a "closed
source" basis, while the old free sources have been developed further by
others. Today at least 20 teams, some organized in the "OE-Alliance",
are building images for ~100 third-party set-top boxes from ~40 vendors
based on that open source code.

You probably know that Enigma2 is using Gstreamer. However, while Dream
Multimedia might be using Gstreamer 1.x by now, the open source
development is stuck at version 0.1. As you can imagine, currently even
cheap commercial media players are outperforming Enigma2 with respect to
features and stability. Even some basics, like rewinding mkv files, have
never been working. With some workarounds, like jumping instead of
rewinding, media playback is usable but nothing to be proud of.

In the last 1 or 2 years, there has been some activity at openPLI about
integrating Gstreamer 1.x.Today there are bitbakes, but also issues,
e.g. some audio not playing, progress bar running too fast, subtitles
not working, etc.. Our branch using Gstreamer 1.x is not officially
released yet, and progress is slow or stalled.

That's why I'm contacting you now, asking for support or rather for a
cooperation. Some people at openPLI have already tried to convince a box
manufacturer to hire or pay some members of your team for the job of
integrating Gstreamer 1.x into Enigma2, but the response was negative.
It is sad but understandable that no manufacturer likes to pay for the
benefit of all. Unfortunately also our teams have poor funding, team
members are working for free, and I'm afraid we cannot offer payment.
What we can offer is placing a set-top box at disposal which a person
helping us could keep in case of success, and of course there would be
people available at our side for support, including a colleague from
openPLI who has been working on the Gstreamer 1.x integration.

Please let me know if you see a chance of helping us, or whom I should
contact about this. I've also seen that "GStreamer on embedded systems,
set-top boxes" is on the agenda of the GStreamer Conference on 16-17
October 2014. Maybe someone could bring up my request there?

Thank you very much and kind regards

Lukas "Fischreiher" Bauer

http://www.opena.tv

lukas.bauer.openatv at web.de <mailto:lukas.bauer.openatv at web.de>