using Gstreamer for rtsp client on android

pankaj bansal pankaj.bansal.jiit at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 09:43:02 PDT 2014

Hi

I want to stream a rtsp stream on android and I finally have come to
conclusion that I cant use android API's MediaPlayer,Videoview etc because
latency is big issue for me. I need an latency of <500 ms. Now I am
planning to use Gstreamer to create an android rtsp client. I just have few
doubts

1. Will the Gstreamer be able to provide latency <500ms. I read there are
some parameters which I can tweak to get very low latency. Just want to
confirm. I have very good network bandwidth. The frame size is generally
1920X1080.

2. I read Gstreamer is one made one level above ffmpeg and uses ffmpeg
codecs to work. So is the Gstreamer LGPL if I need to just stream an rtsp
stream on android.

Regards
Pankaj Bansal