Query (problem) using format 'RGB3' in caps filter

Anthony Buckley tony.buckley000 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 00:29:36 PDT 2014

I have a problem trying to use RGB3 (also BGR3) format in a caps filter.
I'm doing this in C, but the problem shows also if I use gst-launch thus:

gst-launch-1.0 -e v4l2src !  video/x-raw, format=RGB3, width=640,
height=480, framerate=10/1 ! videoconvert ! autovideosink

0:00:00.023981006  3556      0x1ae0a10 ERROR           GST_PIPELINE
./grammar.y:624:gst_parse_perform_link: could not link v4l2src0 to
videoconvert0
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: could not link v4l2src0 to videoconvert0

I know the webcam can accept RGB3 as I've another program just using v4l2
that takes snapshots using RGB3. Also running 'gucvview' shows the
available formats are JPEG, YV12, YU12, RGB3, BGR3. JPEG is the native pix
format of the camera and the others I think are available conversions added
from v4l2. The above pipeline works fine with YV12 and I420 (YU12 ?), but
not the others. Curiously, if I just use format=RGB it also works.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or have some misunderstanding and was
hopeful that someone could possibly provide some insight for me.

Thanks much.

Tony