Windows Media Server playlist playback issue with gstreamer

Somnath Panja somn.math2008 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 07:45:35 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am developing an application using gstreamer. I tried to play a playlist
using gst-launch command with mms url to a Windows Media Server. I executed
the following command:
gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri=mms://<WMS server>/PublishingPoint1/

where "PublishingPiont1" is an on demand publishingpoint for playlist
comprising of four wmv videos created on a Windows Media Server("<WMS
server>") machine.

I observed that the playback stopped with an error after playing the first
video in the playlist. After digging into the gst log, I have found that
even before completing the first video(or before getting/processing EOS for
the first video) the streams(or frames) for the second video is being fed
into the gst pipeline. Transition from PLAYING to PAUSED or READY/NULL state
is also not happening before receiving streams for the second video. As a
result "asfdemux" demuxer fails to parse the streams for the second video
and hence playback stopped after first video playback.

Each video in that playlist can be played individually using gst-launch
command with mms url to that video file. However, I can not play the
playlist comprising of those videos.

Is there any known issue in playing playlist using gstreamer with mms url?
If anybody tried it before please reply.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Setup information:
gstreamer version:  0.10
ugly plugins(for asfdemux) version:  0.10.19
Windows Media Services version:  9.6 on Windows Media Server 2008 R2

I have also tried it using gstreamer version 1.0 but observed the same
issue.

Regards,
Somnath