Best graphics card brand for GStreamer?

Alice Wonder alicewonder at shastaherps.org
Wed Oct 22 10:24:34 PDT 2014

I had a LOT of problems with my nVidia card that just simply went away
when I took that card out and started using the Intel HD graphics
built-in to my CPU.

For example, totem would fail to show video at all - but if I made the
video a link in a web page (even on my local filesystem) then I could
watch it in my webkitgtk browser via GStreamer.

I don't understand what the difference is, but that (and other) issues
just went away when I stopped using an nVidia driver.

I suspect the issue is closed source drivers don't always interface well
with the rest of the kernel and the kernel people can't do jack about it
because the driver is closed source.