Using Hardware decoder in Mac for streaming.

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Oct 25 02:56:14 PDT 2014

On Mo, 2014-10-13 at 11:53 +0530, sithruk sana wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am new to GStreamer, kindly easy go on me. ;).  I am streaming with RTSP
> from  the USB Camera from Linux box, and trying to show in Max box.
>
> Server end i used the below command :
> [...]
>
> ./gst-launch-0.10 udpsrc port=5000  ! "application/x-rtp, clock-rate=90000,
> encoding-name=(string)H264, payload=96"  ! rtph264depay ! vtdec_h264 !
> autovideosink  sync=true -v

Please upgrade to GStreamer 1.x, and ideally latest GIT master. There
were many improvements related to the VideoToolbox elements, the OSX
camera source and in general. Many of them will also land in the next
1.4 release, 1.4.4.

> I have received the below error:
>

> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>
> ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
>
> ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/vtdec_h264:vtdec_h2640: API error
>
> Additional debug info:
>
> vtdec.c(187): gst_vtdec_change_state ():
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/vtdec_h264:vtdec_h2640:
>
> Could not obtain required API: failed to open VideoToolbox

Please open a bug report at http://bugzilla.gnome.org against GStreamer
if this is still a problem with the latest version of GStreamer.

> 1)  It looks like GStreamer could not find the video Toolbox in mac which
> is required for hardware decoding.

It looks like an initialization problem, yes. That would be a bug that
is most likely fixed already. The GStreamer version you're using is more
than 2 years old already.

> 2)  Which plugin name is used for software decoding ?.

avdec_h264 in 1.x, ffdec_h264 in 0.10. Ideally you would use decodebin
though, it would look up the correct decoder for you automatically.

> GStreamer 0.10.36
>
> http://www.gstreamer.com

gstreamer.com is a website maintained by some companies and is not
related to the GStreamer project. The official website of the GStreamer
project is http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org

There you can also find newer versions of binaries for OSX and other
platforms, e.g. here:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/osx/1.4.3/

But as said above, there are some bugfixes for the VideoToolbox elements
that are not in 1.4.3 yet but will be in 1.4.4.