Playbin stepping single frame fails on video only mp4

René Calles gstreamer at renevolution.com
Sat Oct 25 10:16:25 PDT 2014

Hi,

i just came across some unexpected behavior using playbin and stepping though a file frame by frame.
If my source MP4-File has an audio stream everything works as expected. If not, the video jumps much more than a single frame to front.

In fact it feels like the step event steps to the current running time (the time the application runs) because as longer as i wait after setting the pipeline to the PAUSED state, the more forward jumps the video.

The step event itself is sent with this line:

gst_element_send_event(data->video_sink, gst_event_new_step(GST_FORMAT_BUFFERS, 1, data->rate, TRUE, FALSE));

In both cases i receive the GST_MESSAGE_STEP_DONE message but when using MP4-Video without audio stream the step duration is always (at least as long the running time is not higher than the current video time) 0:00:00.000000000 and the format is at least not GST_FORMAT_DEFAULT.

I hope someone at the list can give me any clue about this. Is it worth to test this behavior with different file formats so we could see if this may be an issue with qtdemux?

Thanks,
René