Proposal of new feature to wavparse

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Sat Oct 25 16:45:50 PDT 2014

Hi,

First I will describe my problem:

I have an IMA ADPCM WAV file being recorded, as the file is recorded I need
to:

1 - Open it, get the duration from the wav header and seek to near the end
(the client wants to hear what is being said on the audio with the minimum
latency possible).

2 - Start to stream the audio to a client while it is still being recorded
(with care to not send it faster then it is being recorded).

3 - Just stop to send the audio when the file stops being recorded
(basically I hit EOF).

I was able to use wavparse ignore-length property to bypass the duration
found on the header file. But still I was getting EOS while the recording
was still going on.

Checking out wavparse closer it uses a field dataleft to define when to
EOS. Disabling EOS from dataleft I was able to do everything I wanted
(seek, get duration and stream audio until the source indicates that there
is no more data left).

It worked perfectly fine, but I did some nasty stuff on the wavparse and
basically forked it as another plugin. I can think on a way to make this
work using wavparse, through a property (like ignore-length), but I don't
know if the use case is good enough to justify the addition of this feature.

Adding this kind of feature on wavparse makes sense ?

Best regards,
Tiago Katcipis