Gstreamer capture video on android

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Fri Sep 5 07:21:18 PDT 2014

Le 2014-09-04 22:32, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet a écrit :
> You will need to write a new source element wrapping
> around Android's camera preview API. From there you
> should be able to get complete frames. You will need
> JNI for the task as there's no native API (or wasn't
> last time I looked) for this use case.
>
> As a reference you can look around -bad/sys/androidmedia
> , that code does something similar for decoding. Also,
> google around a bit because related questions had
> popped up here and on gstreamer-android@ already.

Also note, we have received green like on starting the Open Sourcing of
an element we wrote two years ago. We should soon make this code public,
in case someone wants to help porting, as this was written for 0.10.

Why this isn't trivial work, well to be able to do that, we need the C
code to be called back, that mean the C code need to inject java code
that will callback C functions as needed. Please, contact me directly if
you would need to look at this earlier.

The plan is to port that element to 1.X, merge it back with existing
android media helpers, removing duplicated effort, squash commits, so we
get a nice change log and then merge in gst-plugins-bad.

best regards,
Nicolas