GStreamer freezes after the Nouveau unexpected pageflip

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Thu Sep 11 07:24:21 PDT 2014

Le 2014-09-11 03:50, alicewonder at shastaherps.org a écrit :
> On 9/11/2014 12:44 AM, Sergei Vorobyov wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> my Gstreamer application is quite reliable, but it hangs/freezes once in
> a while (very seldom) with the following syslog message:
>> Sep 11 00:21:15 wsl kernel: [226699.539463] nouveau E[     DRM]
>> unexpected pageflip
>> Sep 11 00:21:28 wsl kernel: [226712.737584] nouveau E[Xorg[1691]]
> nv50cal_space: -16
>> Sep 11 00:21:28 wsl kernel: [226712.920277] nouveau E[Xorg[1691]]
> nv50cal_space: -16
>> ... (the same repeated many times)
>> Is it a known issue for GStreamer or should I address the Nouveau
> development team with a detailed bug report?
>

> I got so sick and tired of the GStreamer problems with both Nouveau
> driver and the nVidia driver that I took my nVidia card out and just
> started using Intel HD graphics and swore I would never buy an nVidia
> card again.
>
> I don't think GStreamer is to blame, I think it is the driver.
Indeed, it's a long time known issue with in nouveau. From time to time,
there is error that pops and could not get handled. It often, but now
always lead to system freeze. Why is GStreamer often implicated, simply
because of the large flow of data being sent to Nouveau during video
plaback. I've seen hard freeze without GStreamer too, and on recent
kernel, older Nvidia chipset, this freeze is triggered also by
suspend/unsuspend. Nouveau need help, but not an easy task as it's
reversed engineered. Please don't be too rude on the few devs doing this
hard work, simply report and provide all the information you can.

cheers,
Nicolas