Low Latency Interlaced Video

Paul Barber paul.barber at oncology.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 14 01:53:19 PDT 2014

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

On 13 September 2014 14:36:33 BST, "Tim Müller" <tim at centricular.com> wrote:
>Why is the sub-frame latency important to you here? Do you immediately
>output the captured fields on a device that outputs interlaced video
>whilst also wanting to do other things like record the stream to a file
>in other branch of the pipeline, and that's where you do the
>deinterlacing then?

Yes, that's the kind of thing exactly. But the output would be a progressive LCD display.
A couple of people mentioned GST_VIDEO_BUFFER_FLAG_ONEFIELD. I was not aware of that, so will look into it.

So my next question is: with video, does a buffer that is passed down the pipeline have to be a whole frame (or field)? Could it be just 10 lines of a frame (say). Is there support for this and is this common?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Paul