playing synced video on multiple machines ( without streaming )

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Sep 16 07:26:51 PDT 2014

On Di, 2014-09-16 at 16:43 +0300, Jacob S wrote:
> Hi, is it possible with gstreamer to play a local video file on multiple
> machines synchronized with an accuracy of up to 50 ms diff.
> Assuming their clocks are synced, can I play the video file and get it to
> sync to a specific time ?
>
> I cant use multicast streaming for that, I need each machine to play the
> file locally ( I will use the network just to tell all the devices when
> exactly to start playing ).

You can use the GstNetClientClock and GstNetClockProvider for syncing
the clocks of the different clients, and then additionally only have to
distribute a base time to all the clients via a separate channel.

See the Aurena code here for an example:
https://github.com/thaytan/aurena

Expertise, Straight from the Source