ibva error: va_getDriverName() failed with operation failed,driver_name=i965, on a .wmv file

Sergei Vorobyov sergei.vorobyov at facilitylabs.com
Thu Sep 18 03:13:12 PDT 2014

Thanks!

Indeed the problem was caused by the fact I tried to gst-discover via an
ssh connection, my fault. When I do it directly on the NUC, the .wmv file
in question is discovered and played OK... Almost.

Although the file started to play *reasonably well*, gst-launch continued
to complain about i965_drv_video.so, which indeed was missing:

fl at nuc3:~/ads$ gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=621.wmv ! decodebin !
videoconvert ! ximagesink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
Redistribute latency...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
Got EOS from element "pipeline0".
Execution ended after 0:00:05.000180624
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

Worse things started to happen when I run apt-get install libva-*, which
installed dri/i965_drv_video.so

The playback became *real slow* (because of acceleration?) and gst-launch
reported:

fl at nuc3:~/ads$ gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=621.wmv ! decodebin !
videoconvert ! ximagesink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Got context from element 'vaapidecode0': gst.vaapi.Display=context,
display=(GstVaapiDisplay)NULL;
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstXImageSink:ximagesink0: A
lot of buffers are being dropped.
Additional debug info:
gstbasesink.c(2791): gst_base_sink_is_too_late ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstXImageSink:ximagesink0:
There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow.
[...]
Execution ended after 0:00:05.221524402
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

Luckily, when I replaced ximagesink with autovideosink, the playback became
fast and smooth as before reporting:

fl at nuc3:~/ads$ gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=621.wmv ! decodebin !
videoconvert ! autovideosink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Got context from element 'vaapidecode0': gst.vaapi.Display=context,
display=(GstVaapiDisplay)NULL;
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
Got EOS from element "pipeline0".
Execution ended after 0:00:05.060843602
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

Does it mean that Video Acceleration and ximagesink are incompatible? How
to choose an optimal video sink, rather than autovideosink? I tried others
like clutter, v4l2sink. Nothing works except autovideosink.

Which sink is actually selected by autovideosink? I am hesitant of using
autovideosink in the real C application with gst_element_factory_make
("autovideosink", "videosnk"), because it is more tricky to map this
autovideosink into an X-window. Note this mapping is static with ximagesink
(no callbacks needed)

Thanks!