Make gstreamer render even when there is no video streaming

Wizardy wizardy at 9power.org
Thu Sep 18 10:10:12 PDT 2014

Hello

I'm developing a client application where I use gstreamer to get a video
streaming from another device and display it along with some extra
information (text and images). To render all the information over the video
I'm using the cairo plugin included with gstreamer which works great. The
problem I'm having is the video streaming is not always available, and when
it isn't gstreamer doesn't render anything, so all my extra information
isn't shown either.

A simplified version of my pipeline:

udpsrc port=5000 ! application/x-rtp, payload=96 ! rtph264depay !
avdec_h264 ! videoconvert ! cairooverlay ! videoconvert ! d3dvideosink

Does someone know how can I make gstreamer render cairo even when there is
no video?

Thanks.